Coaching supports personal and professional growth based on self-initiated change in pursuit of specific actionable outcomes. Coaching can help individuals or groups to see new possibilities, try new paths or ways of being. Often we are blocked by fears or anxiety and we need a partner to help us see the opportunities in front of us – today – here and now. Sometimes a gentle nudge is all it takes to unlock the gates.
Methodologies and Practices
My coaching practice is influenced by a number of elements learned over the last several years. The foundation is ontological and was learned at Newfield Network.
What is Ontological Coaching?
Ontology is the study of being – what it means to be human. Ontological Coaching focuses on our Way of Being, which is a dynamic interrelationship between three areas of human existence – language, emotions and body. Coaching in all three areas can generate profound learning, resulting in fundamental shifts, both in self-perception and perception of what is possible in one’s personal and professional life. Deep and lasting change requires shifts in language, emotions and body.
In a world of constant and relentless change, we are faced with the challenge to continually re-invent ourselves so that we can successfully adapt to new and unpredictable circumstances. Ontological Coaching supports people to become more powerful observers, capable of taking more effective action and becoming more self-generating learners.
I have been privileged to learn from practionners of mindfulness at several Authentic Leadership in Action (ALIA) Summer Institutes, the Authentic Leadership Programme at the Authentic Leadership Center at Naropa University, deep-dive courses and webinars. I practice mindful meditation and encourage clients to incorporate the practice so that they can be fully present in their lives. With regular practice our minds can become stable and quiet enough for us to be flexible and open to new situations as they arise.
From the same sources as noted above, I have also been exposed to and have studied Authentic Leadership. At the heart of these teachings is a belief in the basis goodness and wisdom in every person. These teachings align with the foundations of the Newfield Coaching practice which starts from the premise that each coaching client is whole, resourceful and creative. Influences from Shambala, the Presenting Institute, Reos Partners and individuals such as Peter Block, Alan Sloan, Barbara Bash, Susan Skjei and others connected with the Authentic Leadership Center weave their way into my coaching practice and provide unique experiences for each client.
Art of Hosting
Conversation is at the heart of every coaching relationship. When deep issues need to be resolved, powerful questions are at the heart of the path forward. The Art of Hosting provides structures and systems to address issues held by an individual, companies and communities. Teachings from these practices weave their way into the environments that I coach in as well as the way I approach conversations.
I am a Reiki master, taught by Sharon Goater using Diane Stein’s methods and teachings. Tapping into this natural ability that we all have has increased my intuition and enables me to assist clients energetically if desired.
I am a member of the International Coaching Federation (ICF) and support their vision, mission and core values. I also uphold ICF’s Code of Ethics in my coaching practice. My membership in ICF offers me a number of learning opportunities to continue to deepen my offer as a coach. I take advantage of those frequently.
I am a lifetime learner so I will continue to be open to other learning opportunities. As I learn the elements that fit best with my practice will weave their way into my offerings.
Developing a Relationship
Coaching relationship can take on many forms and be in many places:
– If it is difficult for you to leave your office, if you have a tight schedule or if you live in places that are far away from me physically, coaching sessions can be held on the phone, by Skype, on Facetime, Google Hangouts, or Viber. Coaching is effective as long as we can communicate and you are in a place where we can talk openly and, if necessary, you can move around the space you are calling from.
– If you are located in Bermuda and are able to come to my practice space in Paget, I can meet you there and offer you a safe and quiet space in a garden setting where we can work through the elements of your journey that are calling to be addressed and, when addressed, can lead to a more joyful and fulfilling ride.
– If you are unable to get away from your office, I am happy to come to you – just let me know where to go.
Walking coaching sessions
– We are all connected to the world we live in and often the best place for us to talk is while we are moving and enjoying the world we were placed in. I have a number of places that are perfect for getting out into nature while having a coaching conversation. We can do this in groups or one-on-one – depending on the need.
– If you don’t want to walk but appreciate sitting outside to feel the breeze or enjoy the sunshine, I have locations to sit and have meaningful conversations. Just make the request and we will find the best spot for you.
Coaching and riding
– If you are a horseback rider, I could also arrange for coaching sessions on horseback. There will be an additional charge for the rental of the horse if you don’t have your own mount.